Thursday, May 19, 2011

Spoiled Rotten

You know who makes the maddest in the sports world? People that complain “season ticket” prices are too high. Really? You’re complaining because you’re paying too much for a WHOLE season’s worth of homes games? You hear this all the time, from NFL to MLB to NBA to the NCAA. My god, I can only imagine how perfect it would be to have the luxury of owning season tickets to ANY sport or team. I would probably kill a terrorist to be able to see every Colts’ game.
               
I have been to:
4 Indianapolis Colts games
5 Indianapolis Indians games (never seen a victory for the Indians by the way)
5 Indiana Pacers games
2 Indiana Ice games
1 Notre Dame game (a gift from my wonderful girlfriend)
 4 races at IMS
2 St. Louis Cardinals games
1 St. Louis Blues games
               
That all may seem like a lot, but compared to the hordes that have been buying season tickets for years, that’s nothing(or the spoiled kids who have parents that buy tickets). Not to mention, of the 24 things listed, 14 were free to me (and my parents).Every one of those sporting events were moments that I will never forget, and isn’t that what a sporting event SHOULD be? It should be something that you can tell your friends or family about. It should be something your child and yourself should remember.
               
For so many, having tickets to a game like the ones listed are just as necessary as having food on the table. I grew up in a fortunate household, don’t get me wrong. But I didn’t see my first Brickyard 4oo until my dad won tickets in 2008, and I live right down the street from the track! I will NEVER forget walking around the track all morning, then sitting next to my dad, watching Jimmie Johnson drive to victory. 

I’m proud of how my parents raised me. I’m proud that I was old enough to truly appreciate going to a Colts and Pacers game.
-still never been to Disney World though!
                
I will always be willing to pay astronomical prices for tickets to sports events, but what about the up and coming fans, or the ones who want to learn more about a certain sport? The kids and people who are curious about a sport but can only see it on television like I once was?

Television can only do so much. You can’t hear the same crack of the bat, or the same referee whistles, or the same squeaking of shoes on a court, or the same roar of the engines. To truly capture the essence of a sport, you have to see it in person, and a lot of people are missing out on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment