Thursday, May 26, 2011

2011 Indy 500 predictions

Artist Thomas Kinkade's rendition of 100 years of the Indianapolis 500


           Since 1970, the winner has started pole position 13 times, and the winner has started 2nd or 3rd a combined nine times. Going further, the winner has started outside the top 10 in only seven races. That means in the past 29 races, the winner has started in the top 10 23 times. So what does all that mean? I’m not sure, because statistics don’t mean much to me. I just looked all that up to impress you and your friends.

Alex Tagliani starting on the pole has me thinking this might be the year somebody other than Penske or Ganassi gets the win. Most people will have him as an underdog pick, and maybe as the favorite. If you’re making a sensible pick though, you have to go with a driver from one of the two most successful IndyCar teams ever, Penske or Ganassi.

The Penske drivers are: Helio Castroneves, #3, and a three time winner; Will Power, #12, no wins on an oval course; Ryan Briscoe, #6. Castroneves is starting way back in the field, but he’s Helio, and I have confidence that he can win from anywhere. Ryan Briscoe is starting 27th, and I’m guaranteeing he won’t even finish in the top 5.

The Ganassi drivers are: Dario Franchitti, #10, a two-time winner; Scott Dixon, #9, a one-time winner. Both drivers are starting in the top 9, and have a far better chance of winning than the Penske drivers.

So besides those five drivers, who has the best chance of winning? For me, there are several drivers that have great chances at pulling an upset. They are in order of who I think has the best shot at winning.

Alex Tagliani- #77. Starting 1st. Obviously has a quick car.
Vitor Meira- #14. Starting 11th. Finished 2nd in two Indy 500’s.
Dan Wheldon- #98. Starting 6th. Former Indy 500 winner.
Danica Patrick- #7. Starting 26th. Indy is definitely her best track.
Oriol Servia- #2. Starting 3rd . 3rd in the IndyCar Championship.
Ed Carpenter- #67. Starting 8th. Has been fast all month.
Marco Andretti- #26. Starting 28th. Lost the 2005 Indy 500 by less than one second.
Buddy Rice- #44. Starting 7th. Former Indy 500 winner.


My three picks for the winner of the 100th anniversary of the Indianapolis 500:
Dario Franchitti, Alex Tagliani, Scott Dixon
-Yes, I picked three. I’m allowed to do that, it’s my blog!


Comment and let me know who you think will get to drink the milk after 500 miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment