Sunday, June 19, 2011

My Indy 500

This is kind of late, but I just wanted to get this out there and let you guys know how my month of May at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway was. Out of the 17 days of Indianapolis 500 activities occurring at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, I was there for seven of them and spent approximately 34 hours at the track. I was there on Opening Day, Fast Friday, Carb Day, Race Day, and then some. I took 533 pictures, got some awesome autographs, and made memories I will never forget. There is nowhere else I would rather spend the month of May than on the Westside of Indianapolis, Indiana.
           

On race day, my entourage made up myself, my mom, my brother, and my girlfriend woke up at 4:00 am. We hopped into our car and headed basically right around the corner to Georgetown Road that runs right next to IMS. After almost 3 of waiting in line to get into the track (and several headaches) we were parked in Turn 3, the famed “Snake Pit”. We unloaded the car and headed to Turn 2, where we would be sitting on an infield mound.

We were set up and ready for the race by 8:00 am, but the race was still four hours away! So we sat there and listened to music, played Frisbee, played football, and tried to kill time as we waited for the pre race activities to start.

After the national anthem was sung, a rendition by Kelly Clarkson and Seal, the much more appealing song, “Back Home Again in Indiana” was sung by Jim Nabors. After hearing that song, I realized that I was just mere minutes from seeing my first Indianapolis 500 in person. I could feel the same electricity in the thousands of people around us.

The race began and was very exciting, but like all sporting events, it turned into a bore about half way through. In fact, my girlfriend fell asleep during the race. Embarrassing right? With about 40 laps to go, the race picked up and I stood for the rest of the race so I could get the best vantage point.

As the lead was swapped between drivers towards the end of the race you could feel the tension grow with each passing lap. Nobody knew who would have enough gas (or determination and strength) to win. When JR Hildebrand took the lead my brother and I erupted into cheer. My brother had picked him to win, and it was awesome to see an American just a few laps away from winning the race.

When J.R. took the white flag, everybody around us was on their feet, cheering him onto victory. He went by us and onto the backstretch. I watched him turn into 3 on the video screen, then into 4, then smack right into the wall. There was a moment of a about one second when the track was almost silent, except for the cars, as nobody could believe what just happened. When Dan Wheldon passed Hildebrand, the shock turned into happiness and appreciation for Wheldon and the crowd erupted into cheers.

Well, except for two people, my brother and I. I really thought Hildebrand was going to win. I told my brother with 10 laps left that if Hildebrand could get by then 2nd place Dario Franchitti, then he would win. Hildebrand got by Franchitti and took the lead as the leader had to pit, and all he had to do from then on out was keep the car on the track and off the wall. He wasn’t able to do that, and he lost. I could feel his pain, for I had felt his excitement and anxiousness.

After the race, we headed back to our car and waited about an hour to leave the track, and finally made it home around 5. I had been up for 12 hours, I had been to my first Indy 500, and it was one of the greatest 500’s in history. It was quite an incredible day.
Pagoda on race morning
First 3 rows before the start of the race


 Besides going to the race, my favorite part of the 500 was being at the track on A.J. Foyt Day, the Saturday before the race. Throughout the day there would be drivers signing autographs; drivers that were past Indy 500 winners, drivers that had raced in the 500, and the current drivers. There was also the public driver’s meeting which I had never attended.

I woke up 7:00 am and left for the track. I got to the gates around 7:45am and stood in line until the official opening of the gates at 8am.

When it finally turned to 8am, the guy working the gate yelled “GO!” All of a sudden, I was in the middle of a stampede. People (mostly middle-aged) took off into the tunnel that leads under the track. I was getting pushed around and could hear little kids screaming. It was as close to “Running of the Bulls” as I want to get to. Eventually I realized I was going to have to join the madness, and took off running.

I emerged from the tunnel and inside the track. I made my way to the “Pagoda Plaza” and found that the first group of drivers giving autographs was the past Indy 500 winners. They were split up into 5 different tables from which I would only be able to choose just one to go. These tables were:

Johnny Rutherford, Parnelli Jones, and Tom Sneeva
Arie Luyendyk and Rick Mears
Mario Andretti and Kenny Brack
Al Unser, Bobby Unser, and Al Unser Jr.
Emerson Fittipaldi and Gil de Ferran

I jumped in the Arie and Rick line, as Rick’s autograph is one I’ve wanted for awhile. I stood there and talked to the people around me. The couple in front of me was from Florida and had been to several 500’s. The guy behind me had also been to several, and he and his father had so much memorabilia and stuff to sign it was borderline disgusting. All I had was a program, but by God, I will always cherish that $15 program.

While in line, I saw Johnny Rutherford standing next to a car that several past drivers were signing. I rushed over and got him to sign my program. I was also able to get Wally Dallenbach and his father’s autograph as well. I was soon told to “move back to the lines”, but didn’t care much because I got what I wanted!

Eventually I got Arie and Rick’s autograph, and told Arie that “You’re my parents favorite driver!” to which drew an almost dirty glance by the two-time 500 winner.

I attended the driver’s meeting that was happening on the front stretch of the track. Dario Franchitti and his owner were given awards for his 500 victory last year. There were other awards given but nothing too exciting. The best moment was when Al Unser Jr. introduced A.J. Foyt, when he said “Now to introduce a man with a record that is unsurpassed. Get it, Unser-passed?” The joke brought out a lot of laughs from people in the stands as well as the drivers in attendance. I thought it was pretty hilarious as well.

Program I got signed.Autographs: Johnny Rutherford, Arie Luyendyk, Rick Mears, Kenny Brack, Parnelli Jones, and Tom Sneeva

Rick Mears and Arie Luyendyk


A.J. Foyt

Wally Dallenbach Jr. and Sr.



2 comments: