Friday, September 2, 2011

Missed Opportunity

            I just found out that not only was the new Izod IndyCar racecar testing at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, it was testing on the road course! (That marks the first time an open wheel car has gone clockwise at IMS since Formula 1 was here.) I had read that there was going to be a test session on Wednesday and Thursday (Aug. 28th and 29th), but since I heard no engines I assumed I read wrong. I heard no engines because the car was on the road course and not going as fast as it does in the oval.
            
            What makes this all the more saddening is that the media was not allowed to take pictures or video of the event. That means the only evidence of the event even happening was captured by amateurs. So instead of being able to show you pictures of the 2012 Izod IndyCar all I can do is give you a few paragraphs about how I don’t have any pictures.

            
            I did have some success in the IndyCar world though. I e-mailed Indianapolis Star writer, Curt Cavin to inquire about the new car.

My question: So what’s the deal with the new cars? Am I the only one confused? I thought the new cars wouldn’t be here until 2013. You and other questionnaires make it sound like there will be new cars next season. Will there be new engines, just not new bodies?

Curt’s answer: Yes, there will be new cars in 2012, but it’s the unique bodywork kits that were delayed until 2013. You’ll also have additional engine manufacturers for next year.
           
            What I get from this is that there will be new cars next season with new engines but they will not have the different body shapes until 2013. That makes sense, I guess.

            
            By the way, the IndyCar Series only has four races left in the season.
Sept. 4th- Baltimore
Sept. 17th- Motegi, Japan
Oct. 2nd- Kentucky
Oct. 16th- Las Vegas
            
            Dario Franchitti is the points leader and Will Power is 25 points back. Franchitti’s teammate, Scott Dixon is in third place. Oriol Servia (where did this guy come from??) is in fourth and Power’s teammate, Ryan Briscoe, is fifth.

No comments:

Post a Comment