Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Quarterback news!

            There was big news for two Indiana teams and their QB situation. On Wednesday, the Indianapolis Colts finally signed a veteran quarterback out of retirement to back up Peyton Manning. The catch is his name isn’t Brett Favre. Instead, the Colts picked up Kerry Collins.
-The news of this signing was actually announced on Twitter by Colts owner, Jim Irsay. This comes less than 24 hours of me writing “Twitter should never be used as a valid source”. Thanks for proving me wrong Irsay!
            
            The 38-year old Collins has played in the NFL for 17 years for five different teams. He was actually drafted by current Colts president, Bill Polian in 1995 when Polian controlled the Carolina Panthers. Collins has a total of 206 career touchdown passes (Manning has 399) and 40,441 yards (Manning has 54,828).
            
            Some see this move as an indication that Manning will miss significant time at the beginning of the season, others see it as an insurance move. I tend to believe that this is more of an insurance move. I like to believe that Manning will be ready to go 100% once the regular season starts Sept. 11. There is a chance though that he could further injure his neck so signing a veteran like Collins is a good move.
            
            With Collins in, current back up Curtis Painter may be on his way out. I’m crossing my fingers!
           
            
            In other NFL news, the Oakland Raiders picked up former Ohio State player, Terrelle Pryor. This is just another fantastic move by the geniuses in Oakland. The Denver Broncos named Kyle Orton their starter. This means that neither Tim Tebow nor Brady Quinn (my favorite Notre Dame quarterback) will be starting. The Carolina Panthers also named their starter. That will be the 2011 No. 1 draft pick, Cam Newton. This forces former Irish QB Jimmy Clausen to the bench. It’s not a good time to be a Notre Dame quarterback.
 -How awesome would have it been to see the Colts make a move for Clausen or Quinn? I know Quinn has what it takes to be a great QB if he was given a chance.
           
            
            This brings me to the disappointing news I found out on Wednesday as well (not via Twitter). The starting quarterback for the 2011 Notre Dame Fighting Irish will be Dayne Crist. Crist and Tommy Rees had been battling since spring to determine who would be the starter. I guess Crist won the battle.
            
            I have been preaching and teaching and preaching some more that Rees is the man for the job. I have been arguing on ESPN, blogs, Facebook, and Xbox Live! When Crist leads the Irish to another 3-3 start, just remember I was right.


No comments:

Post a Comment