Monday, April 25, 2011

Classy Chicago Fans and NBA Playoffs

I’m gonna start this post with some grumblings toward the fine folks of the Windy City, so If you’re a Chicago fan, put on your big boy pants and get ready to face the truth.

The Indiana Pacers and Chicago Bulls played Games 3 and 4 of their series in Indianapolis over the weekend, and in both games Conseco Fieldhouse was almost 50-50 Bulls-Pacers. After the Bulls victory in game three, dozens of Bulls fans stood outside Conseco and basically caused a mob scene. The very classy Chicago fans waved signs, started chants, and called Pacers fans names I won’t repeat on this website. My best friend was downtown during the game and was called several names. I’ve also read numerous stories where people were harassed and were on the edge of being in physical altercations.
           
Let me tell you, I will NEVER visit or spend one dime in the city of Chicago again. What happened in both games was the most disrespectful display towards a team I have ever witnessed. I can live with out of towners coming to Indy to watch games. I can live with them standing around celebrating. But once you start to insult our city, fans, and players, then that’s when I get pissed off. The Bulls have NO reason to have so much hatred for the Pacers; they have no reason to hate Indianapolis so much.
           
It’s also interesting to me how the Chicago fans during Game 1(in Chicago) chanted “Pacers suck!”. To me, the “your team sucks” chant is a very seldom used chant and only used when the opposing team actually sucks and has done something horrible to your team. But to chant that towards the Pacers is the ultimate offense for me.

Just a few weeks ago my family was in St. Louis where we attended a St. Louis Blues fans. The fans there were the epitome of class. They stood and clapped for the opposing team’s (Calgary Flames) player introduction and national anthem, and I never once heard a “boooo!”. Chicago fans are a bunch of arrogant jerks who I hope never see a championship come to their city ever again.

Anyway, I’ll get on to actual basketball. The Pacers finally won their first playoff game since 2006; the only problem is they’re still done 3-1 to the Chicago Bulls. The Pacers barely eked out a victory Saturday afternoon against Derrick Rose and company in a Conseco Fieldhouse that contained way too many red-clad fans.

The Pacers led the entire game and at one point were up by 22 points. With 3:45 left in the game, the Pacers had a 15-point lead and looked well on the way an easy win, but the Bulls mounted a frantic charge and pulled within 3 points with 38 seconds left. Fortunately the Blue and Gold held on and send the series back to Chicago for game five Tuesday.

Indiana has started off strong in every game against the Bulls so far in the series.  They have pushed the Bulls until the very last seconds of the game and were so close to pulling off victories. The first three games were won by the Bulls by a combined 15 points, and as mentioned the Pacers definitely had their chances to get a win out of any of those three games.  


Now to check on my ever glorious NBA Playoff predictions. My predictions are listed, with the actual series numbers in parentheses.

(1) Bulls over (8) Pacers in 5 (Bulls win 4-1)#
(2) Heat over (7)76ers in 7 (Heat win 4-1*
(6) Knicks over (3) Celtics in 7 (Celtics win 4-0)
(4) Magic over (5) Hawks in 6 (Hawks win 4-2)
(1) Spurs over (8) Grizzlies in 4 (Grizzlies win 4-2)
(2) Lakers over (7) Hornets in 6 (Lakers win 4-2)#
(3) Mavericks over (6) Trailblazers in 7(Mavericks win 4-2)#
(4) Thunder over (5) Nuggets in 5(Thunder win 4-1)#
*- predicted winner correctly
#- predicted exactly right

Let’s just remember I never claimed to be an expert of the NBA.

My prediction for the Bulls is unfortunately looking good, as well as my Heat prediction, but those two were the easy ones. I am legitimately shocked at how the Knicks did not win ONE game. I only watched one game of the series, which was game 4, and the Knicks looked like a high school team out there. They let Celtics point guard Rajon Rando have free reign to do whatever he wanted. Pass it off, lay it up, jump shot, 3-pointer, if he wanted to do it, he had no resistance.

Who would’ve though the Magic would just flop down like they have? How about the Spurs? Man they’re killing me. I haven’t watched one game of that series because I’ve figured the Spurs would just be dominating. Lakers, Mavericks, and Thunder pick are still looking good.

                               



No comments:

Post a Comment